A Tummy Tuck Can Enhance the Contour of Your Abdomen
Tummy Tuck Fast Facts (Abdominoplasty)
Trust your tummy tuck procedure to the best-reviewed plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Abdominoplasty (also called a Tummy Tuck) is a procedure designed to remove redundant skin and fat deposits of the abdomen.
- Tummy Tuck will enhance the contour of the abdomen.
- This procedure is performed under general anesthesia and it is usually completed in 3 hours.
What is a Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is the enhancement of the abdomen contour by removing excessive skin and fat.
How and where is the surgery done?
The procedure is done in a surgery center and performed under general anesthesia. The duration of the procedure is about three hours. It is done as same day surgery.
Where is the Scar?
The tummy tuck scar is usually hidden within the underwear. It has a smile-like shape to it. Some patients may have an additional midline scar.
Will I have drains after a tummy tuck?
Yes, there will be drains in place. They usually stay in place for two to three weeks.
Will I keep my belly button?
Yes, the belly button will stay in the same place. Once the skin of the abdomen is pulled down, I will do an opening to pull the belly button through.
What is the post-op recovery like?
Following your abdominoplasty, you should plan for the following:
- No driving while taking narcotic medication
- Drains 2-3 weeks
- Swelling for 4-6 weeks
- Exercise: Resume walking immediately. Resume activities at 6 weeks.
- Follow-up appointments: one week, 6 weeks, 6 months, and 1 year
What complications could occur?
Some of the potential complications of the tummy tuck or abdominoplasty are:
- Infection (<1%)
- Bleeding (<1%)
- Wide scaring
- Potential loss of the belly button
"Not only is Dr. Julio great but so is his staff and office environment! I have recommended family members and friends to him for various procedures and all agree!"Real Patient