What is BOTOX® for Migraines?
BOTOX® for Migraines Fast Facts
Trust your BOTOX® for migraines procedure to the best-reviewed plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh, PA.
- BOTOX® for migraines is a treatment used to paralyze muscles.
- For over 10 years BOTOX® for Migraines has been used for the prevention of wrinkles to the forehead and crows feet.
- More recently the FDA has approved the use of BOTOX® for the treatment of migraines.
- The principle: the paralysis of the muscle decreases the irritation of nerves that triggers headache.
- Make an appointment with Dr. Clavijo-Alvarez to design the best options for you.
What is BOTOX® for Migraines?
BOTOX® for migraines is the use of botulinum toxin for the prevention or improvement of chronic migraines. This medication is FDA approved for this medical application.
Who is a good candidate?
Good candidates for BOTOX® covered by insurance are:
-Patients diagnosed of Migraines by board certified Neurologists.
-More than 14 days per month with headaches lasting 4 hours a day or longer
-Migraine headaches in adults who have tried and failed trials of at least 3 medications selected from at least two classes of migraine headache prophylaxis medications of at least 2 months (60 days) duration for each medication:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors/angiotensin II receptor blockers (e.g., losartan, valsartan, lisinopril);
- Anti-depressants (e.g., amitriptyline, clomipramine, doxepin, mirtazapine, nortryptiline, protriptyline);
- Anti-epileptic drugs (e.g., divalproex, gabapentin, topiramate, valproic acid);
- Beta blockers (e.g., atenolol, metoprolol, nadolol, propranolol, timolol);
- Calcium channel blockers (e.g., diltiazem, nifedipine, nimodipine, verapamil)
How painful is the procedure?
Not to painful. It feels like a bee sting. It is well tolerated by most patients.
What decisions do I need to make before my procedure?
The most important thing when considering BOTOX®, is to identify the areas of your head are affected by the headache. Please request a log to start recording the specific locations of your headaches. This information is KEY for the adequate treatment with the BOTOX®.
Some of the areas of most concern are:
- Within the eyes
- Beside the eyes
- Temporal area
- Neck or back of the head
- Behind the ears
Is BOTOX® safe?
YES. Botox® is a safe medication. The toxic doses are 2700 units. The maximum units use to address many of the areas of the face is less than 100 units usually.
Am I too young to have BOTOX®?
The original medical indication for BOTOX® was in kids suffering from cross eye vision. Truly the indication for BOTOX® is when the patient starts having the pronounce wrinkles in their face. Preventing the muscle animation, will delay the need for future surgical procedures to correct the problem.
When I will be seeing the results of my Botox?
The average time to see the results of BOTOX® is 4 to 7 days.
What complications could occur?
Some of possible complications after BOTOX® for Migraines treatments are:
- Droopy upper eyelid
"Not only is Dr. Julio great but so is his staff and office environment! I have recommended family members and friends to him for various procedures and all agree!"Real Patient