If you are considering plastic surgery, it’s important you trust the surgeon performing your procedure. Board certification through the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is essential to ensuring your physician has the education, qualifications and skills to provide the results you want. Dr. Julio Clavijo-Alvarez is ABPS certified, which means when you trust your procedure to ReNova Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa, you’ll be well taken care of. Our practice is convenient for residents of Pittsburgh, Monroeville, Wexford and the surrounding Pennsylvania communities.
Are All Plastic Surgeons Board Certified?
The short answer is no, not all surgeons are board certified. Even if they say they’re board certified, it’s important to ensure they’re certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons (ABPS). To maintain quality and safety, this organization has historically overseen the training of plastic surgeons. One of the first steps you should take when seeking a plastic surgeon is to ensure that they are ABPS certified.
Why Choose an ABPS Certified Surgeon?
You only have one body, and your plastic surgery procedure should enhance, not deplete it. In order to ensure the quality of your results, there are countless reasons why you should choose an ABPS certified surgeon:
- There are only 24 boards approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties that certify physicians in plastic surgery for the face and body. The ABPS is one of these select few.
- In order to protect patients, the ABPS regulates the quality of physicians’ medical education.
- ABPS certified surgeons must pass comprehensive examinations and once certified, they must continue to meet professional requirements.
What Requirements Must an ABPS Certified Physician Meet?
To become ABPS certified, physicians are required to:
- Graduate from an accredited medical school
- Complete at least five years of residency training in a combination of general surgery and plastic surgery
- Pass comprehensive written and oral examinations
How Can I Tell if My Surgeon is Not ABPS Certified?
Physicians who are not ABPS certified may:
- Lack privileges at hospitals or state certified facilities
- Perform all procedures in-office (due to lacking hospital privileges)
- Not provide general anesthesia
- Require other physicians to handle hospital admissions when a complication requires hospitalization
- Advertise significantly discounted fees
To find out if your surgeon is ABPS certified, you can visit the ABPS website.
Why Choose Dr. Julio Clavijo-Alvarez?
Dr. Clavijo-Alvarez is an ABPS certified surgeon. He also maintains membership to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). This society requires members to be ABPS certified and mandates continuing education requirements as well as a strict code of ethics.
For these reasons and more, when you work with Dr. Clavijo-Alvarez, you can trust you’ll be in good hands.
At ReNova Plastic Surgery & Medical Spa, we adhere to the highest standards for patient care. Dr. Julio Clavijo-Alvarez provides impressive, natural-looking plastic surgery results for residents of Pittsburgh, Monroeville, Wexford and the surrounding PA communities. To learn more and schedule your consultation, contact us today.