Before you can choose between a breast lift or a breast reduction, it is essential to understand the differences and benefits of the two. You may be wondering which one you would be the best candidate for.
At Renova Plastic Surgery, we’ve put together an overview of each procedure to help you determine which procedure may be able to help you reach your desired results.
Breast Lift Procedure
Women who have experienced events such as pregnancy, breastfeeding, or weight loss may have noticed that their breasts have shrunk and have begun to sag. With a breast lift, your surgeon can resolve these issues by reshaping, repositioning, and increasing the volume of your breasts.
A breast lift is a surgical technique that is used to remove excess skin from your breasts while also eliminating sagging, raising the breasts to a more youthful position. With a breast lift, your surgeon can correct issues such as:
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Decreased breast volume[BT1]
- Sagging breasts
- Drooping or downward-pointing nipples
- Stretched or enlarged areolas
- Chest skin folds
Am I a Candidate for a Breast Lift?
If your goal is to achieve a more lifted and youthful appearance in your breasts, then you may be a great candidate for a breast lift. Ideal breast lift candidates will match the following criteria:
- The patient is of sound mental health.
- The patient is interested in addressing excess or sagging skin.
- They have realistic expectations for the procedure and the outcome.
- They are in good overall health.
- They do not smoke cigarettes.
- The patient has no active infections.
- The patient is satisfied with the size of their breasts.
To be a good candidate for a breast lift, you must also be committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and stable weight. We also recommend that patients wait to have a breast lift until they no longer plan on having children is since pregnancy can have an impact on your results.
Breast Reduction Procedure
Patients who have large breasts often develop issues such as neck, back, or shoulder pain caused by the excessive weight of their breasts. To resolve these issues, a breast reduction can help you achieve smaller, lighter breasts as well as a more youthful look.
A breast reduction is a surgical procedure that is used to reshape the breast by removing excess breast tissue for more proportional and desirable size. A breast reduction can also help patients improve their comfort, quality of life, and self-esteem.
Who is a Candidate for a Breast Reduction?
If you are looking to reduce the size of your breasts to help reduce your issues with back pain and limited physical activity, then a breast reduction may be right for you. Ideal candidates for breast reductions surgery often experience the following:
- Bra straps digging into your shoulders, forming deep grooves.
- Limitations with physical activity.
- Daily back, shoulder, and neck pain.
- Issues with your posture.
- Issues finding properly fitting clothes and bras.
- Feel that your breasts are too heavy.
- Feel that your breasts are too big/disproportionate for your body.
- Other issues include a tingling sensation caused by the downward pull of your breasts.
- Issues breathing when lying on your back.
Good candidates for breast reduction meet the following criteria:
- The patient is in good overall health.
- They do not smoke cigarettes.
- The patient is self-conscious of their breast size to the point that it affects their daily life and quality of life.
- They have realistic expectations for the procedure and the outcome it can achieve.
- The patient is limited in what they can do physically because of their breast size.
Candidates for breast reduction should not be pregnant or plan to become pregnant after the procedure. Pregnancy can affect your results.
How do I Determine Which Procedure Matches My Goals?
If you are unsure about which procedure will best suit your goals, schedule a consultation at Renova Plastic Surgery today! Our surgeon will perform an exam and discuss your goals with you to determine whether a breast reduction or breast lift would be best for you. Contact us today to get started!